11.08.2012

A new Lego gun

Didn't post anything interesting the last weeks/months, but I hope this will change cause I'm starting on my bachelor topic right now (multithreading for simulations and games). Aaaanyway... This post is not about programming stuff but about Lego guns. Yep, I'm still working on them and I didn't even post anything about my latest for almost a year now I think. I don't feel the need to post something about it cause it marks the end of my quest for something accurate, stable and good to operate. You know, for some reason I like to post progress, but not necessarily the resulting success if it's as done as possible. So this post is about some test results of the single-shot rifle I once wanted to badly and a few concepts I realized the last few days. At first I wanted to improve range and accuracy by using sheaves where the bullet-pushing rubber band is fixated. I hoped that it would be possible to stretch the rubber even more without decreasing durability but in the end it's still limited by the rubber band beeing already pushed to the max by using the sheave-less method. Introducing sheaves at every possible collision point also made the bullet flight highly unpredictable! See, when the rubber band can move as much as possible, it can influence the bullet itself when it exits the barrel. In this short moment, the bullet may completely change direction or start flipping around except flying straight forward. This could be compensated with sheaves on the bullet itself, but 1x1x2 bullet size is just too small for adding sheaves. The essence is that you'll need sheaves everywhere to properly use it. I also had a half prototype for a 2x2x2 bullet with sheaves which worked exceptionally fine. Interestingly, the version without sheaves totally depends on the ramrod angle it was charged with. This is easy to control with some training, but it makes charging it harder if you're not used to it or if you just want to charge stuff very quick. Not sure where to go from this point. I liked the idea of a smaller gun cause it would give a better barrel/stock balance (useful if you want to add a full butt stock). But this also means that I either need a 2x2x2 bullet or a very compact barrel. Besides the bullet size question, I'm also working on a trigger block based on the last one that fits into a 4x4x20 area. The real challenge is to combine the gun body with lots of movable parts and grooves to keep it all together. I'm confident that this will enable me to create a little "standard" I can utilize for later models, just like I did with the bullets. Darn, I totally forget that I'll need to redesign the current model if I want to have 2x2x2 bullets... Argh! Anyway, it's annoying that I can't get smaller or more modular. Modularity is almost impossible with standardized parts and I guess it would make the guns look rather weird. Whatever. Let's see what I'll come up with and kind of design I'll come up with. It's such a terribly interesting topic - makes me feel more satisfied when working on new models. That's healthy by default I guess.

No comments: