7.19.2012

Let's go kick some

I know I'm writing as frequent as I sometimes tend to, but I'm nontheless working on my stuff around two or three hours per day! One result of this is that I finally got around adding the cool render algorithms and getting code done - step by step with the usual care. Interestingly, the engine department at the studio I work has been doing similarly basic stuff done cause the bought engine didn't cover it. Not complete rasterizers but the things needing to implement some effects. The day they presented their results was sort of weird. At first, I was able to see how much less different my CPU-based work differs from platforms that may have a weak GPU but better or more complex CPU features. I mean in the end it's not different, just that you know what's faster on which side and how much memory you can move from A to B. But in the end I wouldn't want to do graphics programming exclusively. I know I like basic and simple graphics engines with a few stable features over everything else because you can use the otherwise waster power for other stuff or atleast push the resulting features to their maximum effectivenes or just focus on making a good game instead of just a good-looking one. I'm more one the simulation side of development with this. Anyway, the graphics dev department seems to be the only team doing it's work properly (more or less), so it's no wonder why they utilize all possibilities they have. But I'd still only use the graphics card for platform-specific visuals and ony add CPU support if it's also useful for other logic, too. Sure, I'm doing my stuff via CPU-only, but that's because I love the purity, want to have fully customization and dislike the added complexity and amount of work added when doing all the stuff I want with shaders or so - not to mention the dependencies. But I sorta feel bad cause I can't constantly work on graphics stuff. There's so much programming wisdom useful to video game development other than graphics or scripting that it's no wonder why everything goes downhill if nobody knows about it. I starts with the very small building blocks of any program (memory management and algorithms for example) and stops at having the discipline to atleast follow your own coding conventions and understanding why error checks in general results in long-term and short-term quality assurance. I don't mean useless unit tests or garbage like that, I talk about a programer's ability to consistently reflect his own shit (drastic word, I know, but that's what happens). There's a lot more stuff I usually criticize, but that's what makes the difference between an randomly producing expert in a very specific area and someone trying to figure out why nothing's happening though the days passed by as well as avoiding situations like that every time. Anyway, I'd like to have something less frustrating later. Something I can actually do something against lazy bums instead of just pointing on them. Or just doing their undone work for a change.

No comments: