7.05.2012

A complex complement

I didn't event remotely have the time to be productive in any way except a few hours per day. Anyway, I've thought about solving a few rather complex clipping problems with simplified rectangular set operations but quickly noticed that any set of operation simple but the complement. In 1D is that no problem of course but still generate either or two 1D sets. In 2D the problem becomes a manifold more complex as the number of possible areas to generate increases by a factor of three. The same goes for 3D, so you can see what ugly thing this is. Personally, I liked to complete modules in any useful way. But one too complex function can sorta lock you if you're a perfectionist like me. Really ugly, really ugly. I could use a quick complement function, but even with simplification, the overall hardcoded complexity is too much to be productive. It's just not worth it and the more I think about it, the more stupid the idea becomes. It's really annoying to see a thoroughly thought module for an exact feature set takes so much time cause the money-making hack solution has higher priority. Not that I do hacks at work, but you know, good deep thinkage never gets paid unless it reduces development time or cost in less time than necessary.

No comments: