1.20.2012

Windows 7, Visual Studio and the miraculous working of my previously non-working mainboard

Alright, for some very wondrous reason my new mainboards actually started to work after playing a bit with the fan settings. Though very unexpected, I saw this as a reason to continue, install first Windows XP, then downloading a my student version of Windows 7 via stupid Windows-only download manager and eventually having a 64bit Windows 7 version. And I have say that was really worth it. Quicker in start and response, some very nice features (though other, equally annoying ones as well) and an overall better performance makes this change very recommendable. For some reason I decided to do some substantial changes to my old setup. These include randomly choosing Opera as my default browser, installing a student version Visual Studio 10 Ultimate and having only the necessary things I really need for playing and browsing the internets. I want it as clean and comftable as my Linux setup - just more media and game-oriented, you know. Less programming-only. That said, I installed Visual Studio out of pure randomness as well as curiosity cause I'll definitely development using Windows while doing my internship (for which I'm really care, trying to collect as much stuff that really represents my knowledge and experience - not an easy work if you're me). And I have to say that I'm very surprised how well this program feels. Interesting settings, good customization options... I wonder why I didn't like in the past. But I think I know why: bad german translation at first (I never tried the English version) and a strong anti-Windows attitude. However, setting up Windows 7 with such ease and sudden good experience compared to the know completely outdated and annoying Windows XP, I'm almost sold. Yes, that's right - me the one not wanting to use Microsoft software finally had a some experience with it! A miracle, I assure you. However, I said almost... Because VC++ still doesn't support C99 and C in general. My totally valid macro header file was barely understandable for VC++. And I really mourn over that. Right now, I'd totally use VC++. But if it doesn't support C99 and my macros, this won't work. It's said. Very said. Especially because I don't have personal code I'd write in C++. I'd rather code personal projects in Erlang than in C++ (oh and I think this a cool thing to have as a scripting language for a game engine or so). Well, too bad it can't be. I can't really blame Microsoft for having to proper C support as it's always a good decision for a company to use C++ methodology instead of C because it's quicker to development and easier to maintain. And I'm not saying this just of another randomness or so - I'm currently a lot of C coding and for everyday coding it's way nicer to simply write clean C++ programs. And I'm thinking about mixing C and C++ code in my final game, especially for the game's actual logic and mechanic besides physics and graphics engine. Hm, maybe I'll once again try to get it running under Visual Studio. I mean there must be some way to solve this problem. It's not that macros and parameters and not in C++, you know. I bet I simply did something wrong. Can't harm to give it a shot some day. However, getting anything else to run compile under Windows is a pain. I can't understand how I ever started using Codeblocks. It's total garbage and a commandline compilation with gedit is a lot easier than using Codeblocks under Windows. Linux is really a pleasure for such things. Just take a random library, use it's headers and link it. Done, program works fine. Even easier is GCC's library directory, makes stuff dead simple. But on Windows? I gotta admit that the crux at all. Microsoft isn't very friendly there, but I don't want to start a personal war in my mind. That's stupid cause it won't help me in the future and never really helped me for anything. In fact, I had equally annoying problems with Linux, though not for development but installation and end-user experience. It's simply the opposite side of the medallion I suspect.

So anyway, my computer is running again with a new and nice system, no real ballast and some nice IDE. That should work fine for now. Development will be done on Windows, too, if I can figure out how and 3D gaming works fine as well. Oh and Opera is really a breeze to work with. Loads of great features, an admittedly peculiar interface customization but nontheless as likable as Epiphany, which I'll replace with Opera on Linux, too. And I need to find a way to move the bookmarks without per-link copying. Oh and I'm so damn glad that I don't need a CD/DVD burning program with Windows 7 beeing able to do so! Very pleasant, I can tell.

On a sidenote, I bought a very small but totally amazing to operate wireless keyboard with builtin trackball and mouse keys. Seriously, this thing is way better for certain things than my big and clunky keyboard. I can sit on my bed and watch a DVD with remote control without having to sit infront on the screen. I can grab the whole thing like a gamepad and also so everyday browsing with needing to move my mouse between laptop and desktop PC setup. Additionally, the small USB plug sending and receiving it's wireless data can be plugged into the keyboard itself for easy transport. So I got a low-dpi mouse and a keyboard in one. It wasn't cheap, rather an early birthday gift I made myself. The typing itself works astoundingly smooth and quick. I'm currently typing my whole post with this keyboard and it feels great. However, it's not as ergonomic as a big keyboard (could be training, too, as it is with laptop keyboards) and I wouldn't want to do some too critical spots in a game with it (where one has to feel the key that was pushed). But playing Terraria and Dead Island worked out totally fine. I'd use as my sole keyboard if it wouldn't require a bit of battery power to run. There's also no battery power or caps/num lock indicator which I believe is because of the fact that it only sends data to the USB plug and not the other way around. So in essence it seems like a very great, tiny keyboard. I'm glad I bought the more expensive version and not the cheap one. Wouldn't want to put it back now.

A great day I have to say! And even more great that I decided to freeze ITK for now until the exams are over. I'll need my sanity and brainpower to get as good marks as possible - they are the last one I'll get this semester. Plus that I need do some Prolog, too. Also, the sooner I get an internship and expose, the better are the chances that I get the internship I really want and so on. I'm confident that I'm not useless to the studio I'd like to go to - provided there website is up-to-date with their latest requirements. If not, I'll simply ask every developer using C++ for a possible internship with my "portfolio" of completed projects (funnily, only uni stuff so far as well as my roguelike raytracer...) as well as source code and so on. I can remember that the 3D chess game viewer was sort of GPL-ed... Dunno exactly. Whatever, I'll ask everyone, try to get in everywhere. I don't expect money, I just wanna get experience with professional development, do some game stuff with them, hopefully solve a few the occuring problems (I'm not afraid of long-taking nut cracking) so that there's atleast a win-win situation. And hopefully I can get the opportunity to meet some guys that can explain some of the more common used 3D game world techniques, how they solved problem xy and so on. That's the stuff most I'm most interested in, really. It's one thing to just read and let your brain work, another one to talk to and ask about specific details.

Oh boy, that'll be awesome! Only that was needed to bring this realisation to mind was a bit of gaming. Fascinating!

No comments: