1.13.2012

Lego, for a change

Since I've solved my pause/resume problem and some other things, too, I took the opportunity do something else that's related to programming: Lego! I was working on a claw gauntlet one or two evenings ago but didn't want to continue it immediately (though it already looks quite badass). So, what I really liked to do was working on another Lego gun! And well, it's currently the muzzleloader I wanted to do a while ago. I kind of realized all things I had in my mind while building the barrel. The rubber band has a central alignment and snaps right into a groove in the bullet (2x2 profile, random length). The barrel has a length of over 30 studs with atleast 25 studs for direct acceleration via the rubber. I was able create very stable layout along the whole barrel to have no friction between the rubber band the barrel insides. Quite interesting look, reminds me of a rail gun or so. However, this will of course useful all my later models (if I get more of the parts I used). The real clue comes in with the rubber band's fixation. Usually I'd use a shorter rubber band, stretch it a bit to fit less loosely and get durability problems over time. The new version uses rolls to form a shape similar to the stylized E used in sum notations. This way I can store rubber band length compact and perfectly stretchable without durability decreseases. When charging the rubber band you can the rolls move because the rubber band will automatically compensate any stress it gets to the length. When using rolls in the bullet grooves, one can reach an even better stretchability. I'm surprised how well this works - it's thickness is completely the samecompared to all other fixations I used. Awesome! I also need less force to charge it completely and stretching using a ramrod makes the potential charge longer, more powerful. So yeah, great improvement this time. Guess changing activities is the best I can do to get good results more often in whatever area. Anyway, the shot release itself will need to have a hammer to activation. Due the held back force beeing way stronger than in other models, I can use the bullet lock and hammer of my previous gun. Which worked very well and will also work well in a bigger scale and higher power. Using a ramrod, the bullet should lock automatically. What's important is a small powerful hammer which I want to deliver in a more compact way this time. But since I was able to compress it before and the current rubber band fixation, I'm certain that it'll work just right. I'd love to have more gun-like internals for my Lego guns. The last hammer/striker I did (and still haven't shown off here) was really massive. Most cause the whole model was rather special.

No comments: