12.27.2011

Offline repost: different languages in a game world

Due to a lot of Stargate a Jet Force Gemini Speedrun with it's awesome insect slaughter fests, I wondered how great it would be have multiple languages spoken within a science fiction firefight in which you'd only understand certain words because you learned via random evens, talk or so. This can be expanded to general ingame text and conversations as long as all these languages share the same syntax or atleast a basic formula with which one can build proper sentence or atleast constructs of equal meaning. Usually, one would learn this stuff either by example or ingame teacher telling you how to understand their language, but of one would simply create a system that expands your diary automatically and then translating the learned words into English for example, that'd make the game a lot easier to play for those not wanting to learn the language wile playing or, like, would simply forget about while not playing. So either way the players who actualy learned the language provided that their is a way to learn it, could for example know more than other players not learning because they'd be knowing things other still have to learn and so on. The whole story could be changed this way and offer a more interesting second playthrough. However, there must an answering allowing you to use both languages - a direct text input. One would need to write two parser, one for English or interface language and one for the game's own language. Since languages and programming language are in essence the same but differ a lot in history and possible interpretation, I don't thik designing a more logical and simple to process gane language would be problem but rather writing a parser for all the other input languages. And that's the actual problem I think. Sure, simplified english wth limited words to use is rather easier but I don't think that it's sentence structure is made to be interpreted or even generated that easy. So as an alternative, creating a completely language one will need to learn while playing is another option. No other language of course. I think I can create something interesting that supports some very atomic talkage while still enabling to shorten words or express stuff differently. It has to be generatable and interpretable. Sure, it'll be a damn flat language, ut one could use not only for a video game but way to let the computer express data and also your non-binary input data and so on.

However, since I already had so many thoughts about programming languages, their features and to realize them, I noticed that I can actually realize them all in C in surely less comftable manor but still with the full functionality. That means I don't really need to make a language just for the few features and focus myself on other, more interesting stuff. The only thing a bit impossile this way is to generate code dynamically, but creating some sort of language and mind for a computer is effectively the same cause the computer would always need to form to language to express himself. I'm not talking Offline repost: different languages in a game world

Due to a lot of Stargate a Jet Force Gemini Speedrun with it's awesome insect slaughter fests, I wondered how great it would be have multiple languages spoken within a science fiction firefight in which you'd only understand certain words because you learned via random evens, talk or so. This can be expanded to general ingame text and conversations as long as all these languages share the same syntax or atleast a basic formula with which one can build proper sentence or atleast constructs of equal meaning. Usually, one would learn this stuff either by example or ingame teacher telling you how to understand their language, but of one would simply create a system that expands your diary automatically and then translating the learned words into English for example, that'd make the game a lot easier to play for those not wanting to learn the language wile playing or, like, would simply forget about while not playing. So either way the players who actualy learned the language provided that their is a way to learn it, could for example know more than other players not learning because they'd be knowing things other still have to learn and so on. The whole story could be changed this way and offer a more interesting second playthrough. However, there must an answering allowing you to use both languages - a direct text input. One would need to write two parser, one for English or interface language and one for the game's own language. Since languages and programming language are in essence the same but differ a lot in history and possible interpretation, I don't thik designing a more logical and simple to process gane language would be problem but rather writing a parser for all the other input languages. And that's the actual problem I think. Sure, simplified english wth limited words to use is rather easier but I don't think that it's sentence structure is made to be interpreted or even generated that easy. So as an alternative, creating a completely language one will need to learn while playing is another option. No other language of course. I think I can create something interesting that supports some very atomic talkage while still enabling to shorten words or express stuff differently. It has to be generatable and interpretable. Sure, it'll be a damn flat language, ut one could use not only for a video game but way to let the computer express data and also your non-binary input data and so on.

However, since I already had so many thoughts about programming languages, their features and to realize them, I noticed that I can actually realize them all in C in surely less comftable manor but still with the full functionality. That means I don't really need to make a language just for the few features and focus myself on other, more interesting stuff. The only thing a bit impossile this way is to generate code dynamically, but creating some sort of language and mind for a computer is effectively the same cause the computer would always need to form to language to express himself. I'm not talking about only commands like in most programming languages. I'm also talking about asking, answering and deciding. It doesn't have to be a fully blown brain or something like that but a simple pool of premade things and fixed algorithmix to handle asking, answering, deciding and executing. I'll focuds my language design efforts on this and not on things I don't need to write a programming language for. I'm curious what I can come up with this way. At first it'd probably be best to design the language itself based on a logical, question-/answer-alike structure. It won't need as many possibilities and freedoms in syntax as normal human languages do cause less dynamic als means a more strict way of receiving and reacting on information. Thus, it'd be easier for a computer to understand and express in it. I'm hoping I can find an interesting solution to this! about only commands like in most programming languages. I'm also talking about asking, answering and deciding. It doesn't have to be a fully blown brain or something like that but a simple pool of premade things and fixed algorithmix to handle asking, answering, deciding and executing. I'll focuds my language design efforts on this and not on things I don't need to write a programming language for. I'm curious what I can come up with this way. At first it'd probably be best to design the language itself based on a logical, question-/answer-alike structure. It won't need as many possibilities and freedoms in syntax as normal human languages do cause less dynamic als means a more strict way of receiving and reacting on information. Thus, it'd be easier for a computer to understand and express in it. I'm hoping I can find an interesting solution to this!

No comments: