11.26.2011

Oh wait, there's a quest left...

128 hours of Skyrim. That's a lot of time to play and even more time you'll have to shave off your daily schedule. I bow before the game's developer, they did a job I've never seen before in any other video game and they did it damn well. And I'm saying this very proud after doing every non-repeatable quest except the ones from the thief's guild. I can't remember even a single game that absorbed so much of my time and thinkage in sequence besides maybe Diablo II oder Titan Quest, which definitely deliver their playtime in a way incomparable to Skyrim of course. Even after always tending to take all my hundrets of chest items at once due to the mischosen controls, even after killing dozens of innocent persons to find out that it's a repeated tasks and even after wondering where the fuck I'm supposed to supposed the millions of dragon souls I absorbed occasionally - this game gave me more than 4 other games together and it was worth almost every minute of playing. It has a shitload of unique little stories, stuff in books to read that expend the series' lore and many unique dungeons in always different layout, background and design. I don't dare to question the developer's in any ways because they've archieved a lot by this game. Push those liars aside that want to do not allow to receive this gem to get it's deserved glory! I'm almost sounding like a Talos priest whatever. Comparing it to other Elderscrolls games and thus to the whole series is of course difficult to me - I only played Oblivion and it's DLCs, Morrowing was too RPG-ish for me. Or lets rather say I prefer the series to develop in simpler, more free ways because there are too many strict RPGs that simply fulfill the formula a typical RPG player will want to need. With Skyrim it seems that they're developing the series into some sort of RPG-based action-adventure as it was with Diablo getting heavy inspiration from roguelikes and the likes. There simply are no games truly comparable to those Bethesda creates (execpt those horrible Gothic games), so I'll put it as straight as it is: Skyrim is a true milestone for the developer and to players like me as well.

So that's it, I've playing almost everything in this game and I can almost only tell good things about it. Oblivion didn't motivate me to do so cause they made impossible-to-play character builds valid as well as repeating too much stuff on and on again. Thus, the two major concerns were put aside and I can't see any of the major problems I've seen in Oblivion. It's motivating and rewarding to explorers and fans of easy-to-access, yet variable and RPG-ish combat. It remembers of so many games that had their great moments but failed beeing great otherwise. Skyrim combines them all and I can only repeat that I currently bow, even kneel before the developers for creating such a amazing game to play for everyone with a decent machine and money for a fullpriced game in their pockets. On a sidenote (and to give the typical RPG fan rants a bit more room), it doesn't give you the feeling of Morrowing or Oblivion but a more... Lord of the Rings or Merlin-alike feeling when playing the game. It's refreshing but not different from such epic struggles those stories delivered to me, though I found Lord of the Rings too boring to read and preferred the movies. Exactly this - it resemblers those two movie series a lot plus some ancient dragon ruin stuff and a good portion of kitschy magic like necromancy and the almighty fireball as well as the typical racism found the Elder Scrolls universe. I don't think they're breaking any essential rules of their previous games except getting away from the numbers a bit. I mean roleplaying back-and-forth - I find simpler systems more enjoyable than those fully blown ones with stuff that obscure the actual joy of exploring and adapting your character to higher leveled challenges! And, well, if you're stupid enough to powerlevel yourself with smithing, enchanting or alchemy, you didn't really understood what's meant to play a roleplay game... It's about slipping into another role in another world. Skyrim does this very well and allows you to do the things you think are suitable to the very Alter Ego you're currently creating. No needed planning, no defined road to rule. You're jumping right into the shoes of someone you can shape as you want - even multiple times.

No comments: