9.30.2011

Good Solution

I found an exceptionally well-suited solution to my "hammer is too small for this" problem. The original idea of extending the hammers like I did in the previous model was a rather bad idea because it introduces a lot of necessary rubber bands to even more the hammer at all. It also adds the problem that every mildy done trigger pull will let the hammer lock's pin to rub against the hammer slide and thus reduce the slide smoothness. Highly undesirable cause you'll literally have to slam the trigger for proper hammer release. This wouldn't any different with the new model if not designing another system. At first I didn't quite knew how to realize a hammer which a level to pull, but then I got the idea of a pullable grip that works independent from the hammer itself, only pulling the hammer if the user pulls using the grip. The second was to create a second rail under the hammer rail, but then I noticed I can simply utilize the now even more free room behind the hammer. I mean either way there MUST be something in this now free room and the shorter and less complicated I can make everything, the better. I find it a really intriguing system I have to say. Compact and probably very reliable. And it could be combinable with the twin-cocking mechanic I describe earlier that makes it possible to cock both hammer at the same time. Could in some kind of lever, too. It needs atleast to be usable with the trigger hand fingers, preferably thumb. There's also a new Lego piece I've discovered lately. It's like a smaller 1x3 version of the rounded "quarter moon" 3x3 parts I used in the first three guns I made when I started. I always found them to big for later models, but the smaller 1x3 parts do perfectly fit into the places I was never be able to cover before. I hope my model can become more complex and easy to make this way. The part looks like an organge claw or teeth (which's probably it's original use), there are plenties of them in every NXT 2.0 set.

All in all everything's running very well at the moment. And surprisingly productive. I bet future models will run equally smooth after several prototypes... As I always dreamed of my own Lego revolver, I found an an interesting mechanic I could use to realize my own magazine-based gun. It's taking from an existing automatic revolver that uses it's recoil to rotate it's. I'm talking about the Webley Fosbery Automatic Revolver, an ingenius gun if you ask me! To cycle the action the upper part needs to be pulled back and forth (or the other way around, can't remember). The grooves on the cylinder are used to move the cylinder using a fixed circular pin on the lower part. It's a very clever construct which can be used for a number of different applications, not only to rotate cylinder. I'm currently thinking about a model which uses a horizontally inserted magazine with grooves on it and a pump-style grip attached to the foreend or directly below the magazine. Having the mentioned circular pin attached to it, it could easily cycle the action if I can find a reliable Lego construct with nicely combinable beams of different angle or so. I frees me from using a ratchet-alike construct (something I dislike due to annoying integration using Lego).

Awesome stuff, indeed! I really love making Lego guns right now. It's the perfect addition to my mostly digital life and I don't want to miss it in the future. Great things will await me!

PS: I'm realizing how much symmetry my designs have so far - perfect for both left and right handed persons.

No comments: