6.20.2011

Offline repost #1

Usually, customers come back if the product or service was good - that's true for merchants, hardware manufacturers and software. Quite dependent on price in the first place, it doesn't matter in the second. After not beeing able to get Arch ready for production without internet or wireless network and having only incredibly horrible Ubuntu variants lying 'round, I decided to simply take what I found fascinating and practical instead of trying to think WHAT I'd need in a distribution. So, what where the distribution I had most of the time which served well in most vital situation? Linux Mint and Debian 5.0 Stable. Mint uses Ubuntu as a base, but more de-sucked than official derivations. Debian 5.0 was... old. VERY old in terms of updates and available software. I knew that Linux Mint offers a variety of different tastes including XFCE and KDE. But all these were still Ubuntu... That operation system which never worked with my study place' wireless network. But Debian worked with ndiswrapper - quite well I have to say! But well - age pays off in different ways and I always believed that more recent stuff like Debian Testing was as instable like CrunchBang I used a small while. But in reality, many people used and still use it as their stable main system cause bugs can be removed quicker than with frozen releases.

So... Linux Mint has a rolling release Debian Version. I always wanted to test it, but didn't want to reinstall my system while it worked. However, I almost USED to reinstall my system every couple days (this isn't funny anymore), so why fuck don't combine those two experiences? Debian itself is fine and compact - Linux Mint brings all the desktop media stuff you'd usually install later. So I dumped it on my harddrive and it was the first time in weeks that I felt comftable with what I saw. I don't have to tinker with Arch's lofi minimalism, don't need to get angry about Ubuntu annoying system screwups and can profit from the huge collection of binary software. This time I installed a x64 system - never did that before, this it might result in a better overall performance.

And it shares the same rolling release nature with Arch. Updates come on their own, nothing needs be reinstalled, the get the newest versions, etc, etc... Will leaving as it is now. I knew Debian long enough as well as it's default Gnome 2.30. But I don't want to keep it - I had enough trouble with it's more tedious parts. And what a luck that I have the whole range of desktop environments avaible, right infront of me in Synaptic's package listing...

No comments: