6.20.2011

Offline repost #7: Finally something civilized in this dark age

I had a lengthy session of tests with different Linux systems for my laptop and think I will leave it as it is until I get the next wave of anger or so. It wasn't for personal software fetishism but rather for my student job - the tools they want to use can only be installed on Ubuntu 10.04... Quite annoying cause I was never able to completely install it. So far I had tested many things: installing it on the laptop, on the desktop, in a virtual on the laptop, in a virtual machine on the desktop... Non of this worked and I already damned the whole thing. At that time I totally forgot about my little collection of Linux distributions CDs... And out of a weird coincidence, there was also a Kubuntu 10.04 CD on it. I tested to install the required compiler tools using the live installation and it seemed to work - no error cause of wrong distribution name and nothing else except a missing fakeroot package. So I put it on a USB stick to it with better performance but needed more free space on it for the toolchain. You guess what I did, I'm using it right now. So I can install and work with it. If everything goes right tomorrow, I can finally take a look at it and learn, learn, learn... Fuck, that took me long. But now everthing should be fine and I'll hopefully stop installing stuff all the time... Fucking software.

No comments: