5.15.2011

Arch Linux

I dropped the idea of tinkering with those tiny RAM-only dsitributions (they generally only work well if booted from CD or USB) and spontaneously installed Arch Linux. It's a minimlistic system with nothing but the essentials of what makes a Linux/Unix system. It's quite fun to tinker around this way, but soon I missed the comfort I was used from GUI systems. However, it's simple to navigate and configurate. I even had fun using it without any interface I was used to. After I installed a few basic things included a pacman database upgrade/update and Arch's build system, I immediately thought about installing Gnome to server my habits. But I don't think that this will improve my skills with using Linux or will help me to change way I motivate myself. I know it's necessary to install graphical tools for simple interaction and browsing - but I felt so free and clean when writing some test programs using nano... There is nothing but code and you can concentrate on what you actually wanted to do. A purely textual environment is way cleaner and doesn't make me think that computer systems only consist of colorful buttons and animated popup windows. It gives me back the simplicity I always missed when I started using more direct ways of development - text editors and commandline compilers. I even considered taking a look at vi for more direct editing than pressing a thousand of key combinations to move a line from a to b. Focus is all to bring me back from rather depressive phases. So whatever comes in my later life, a window manager and associated programs should not be necessary for me when programming. This brings me and my workflow closer to efficiency and simplicity. All those other developers or lecturers can tell me what they want: development is a spiritual thing. Focus and unity with path, goal and peace of mind.

No comments: