5.24.2011

2 out of 6

Today I had a little talk with the lecturer who wanted to get my a student job, which was quite clear and revealing about what he had in mind what to do. All in all he's an associate of a company developing video streaming, monitoring and image analysis (he does his part as well). For example, capturing videos in a bus, analysing how many people are sitting in this bus and messaging a control center to send another bus cause the previous one became full. They're settling on a new target platform (some Texas Instruments all-in-one chip) and will this would need to make benchmarks, move their tools, test how suitable it is etc. I don't have much realtme experience with system other from a standard destop PC and the NXT, but I tend to read and think more than I currently need, so I can get the possibility to utilize my adaption skills in combination with a (seemingly) complete documentation about the chip, it's preinstalled system, etc. So since they use Linux and thus a lot of Open Source software as a base, I don't have to get comftable with "propriority scum" and so on. However, depending on how much and when I have time, it will either be a "home office" kind of thing for testing the tool chains, creating software for it etc or getting a real job (which would be extremely cool) during term breaks etc or one complete day a week. However, if it's going towards getting hands dirty on the actual hardware, I'll probably get a place in their offices and work with them together. Also, he's always clairaudient if a student says he prefersto program in C due to general shortcomings in his area.

So, hooray! I'll probably take the time during term break (There's only on left til last semester) cause I tend to put as much effort as I can into assignments, student projects etc. That way I can fight my general boredom during non-uni periods and follow my work and personal projects during normal student time. Yay! This sounds veeery promising. Finally I get into interesting areas of those normally "hidden computing" projects. I prefer not creating those desktop apps we have in normal user environments. I'm just not such a WYSIWYG/user interaction type of developer. I like it direct!

However, this motivates me to stop using all those shiny C++ thingies and try to dive more into C programming on a toolkit/library-like level. I hope this speeds up development a bit and makes it less of a psychological torture for me to work with object-oriented concepts (actually, I never really worked with that, but that's another question...). I'm interested in developing some alternatives to C++ templates in the way I noted in my previous blog entry. I bet I can get it simpler and way more modular done than with C++ or so... Yeah, that's something to work for. Atleast I do have time to keep my mind busy til term break, when I want to start with actually working with the company's team or even only with the lecturer.

No comments: