4.25.2011

Now let's go on back to guns

What a fabulously lazy day! Did nothing but keeping myself transported around 6 hours six in total, so I had a lot of time to spend and also came up with some more thoughts and about the next steps to take in my Lego gun design quest (also, there might be some mistakes in this post due to sleepyness). First of all, I want better ammunition. Maybe even bigger ones, as long as they give me better range and accuracy. Those tiny 3x3 cartridges are quit space-saving, but also don't do there job as reliable and painless as one would wish. Especially re-powering them requires patience and an accurate hand to reload them. I don't always mind doing so, so it happens to turn out differently. One idea to remove this was mentioned by me in another blog post, though this required some more space or even trickier construction (almost not possible in this scale). Not sure whether I can archive this in the current format, but 4x4 is simple too attractive in terms of firespace and extensibility. If I can get the best out of it (possibly buying newer and better rubbers), it deserves it's own gun model. My plan from now is to not take apart finished models but instead work towards a presentable design I can put behind the glasses in my locker. So that I can always show them off, review some of their parts and remember myself what I've already done. Since a new bullet design will be significantly bigger and longer than the current 3x3x13, I need to watch out for a potentially bigger "problem" when starting ANY design. But it's not always about the bullet. The trigger is important too and I don't want to keep this external trigger transporation like I'm using at the moment. And advancing into more sophisticated action system might be appropriate. What I learned is that planning too many features in one will result into too complex things, easily destroying the idea you had in mind. So if I want to get away from break-action designs, one-shot-per-barrel and so on, a good idea would be to just add another operation to alternate the chamber and not combining anything. So automatic cocking and chambering at once etc. Simply working up in the history of actually successful firearms. I did the muzzle loader, I did the cartridged breechloader and now I go the double-barreled cartridge gun done. Next step might be having preloaded chamber and alternate between them using a stable and strong mechanic, possibly involving gears. Don't know what it will be, but I have time to think about it. There's still a new bullet and triggerdesign wanting to be explored. Guns can be so exciting when do them by yourself. But I bet it's like with everything self you created and designed on your own. The lovely vaste fields of custom technology always motivates me.

I had to resist adding minor modifications and improvements here and there in the latest model. Plastic gunsmithing can be quite addictive when it comes to small and qick successes, like for everything else. I added a two-color red/green iron sight since I currently don't have the room for adding scope rings or so. I might extend this using one behind the stock or on the lock itself. There is probably plenty of room to get it done this. But what's bugging me is that, since the lock is big and long, I can't simply throw out the cartridges using gravitation anymore. In unlocked and opened state, it hinders the bullets from using a special pseudo rail-like construct I added to get them sliding out when you tilt the gun. I loved it when the lock wasn't there, so I'll probably a rubber somewhere to keep it up and get this kind of extrator back.

No comments: