1.01.2011

OMFG part 2

Ok, somehow this stuff is getting annoying. Now that I'm able to code more or less fluently in NXC, there comes another annoying limitation: the firmware's sound API! I can cope with only beeing able to code my synthesizer using a specific sound wave (I can still use LFOs for frequency and sound manipulation). But what's this? Only four different different sound levels in the standard firmware? WTF? I can't believe that I'll AGAIN switch firmware only to get my sound working properly. Other firmware do have better sound playback support, but I wasn't yet able to install them except the LeJOS software. Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you may interpret it...), LeJOS does even have a function for using a custom sound wave. What I'd like to get is some kind of direct access, filling a buffer to played by the sound card and updating it as required. But I guess I won't be able to do so. Another drawback is the speed of LeJOS. Judging from a very useful table, I think it's rather a drawback than something that'd be good. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should simply leave for a while and try to get nxtOSEK running properly. My only problem was that I couldn't compile the compiler properly. That may have to do with different versions, not installed packages etc... I really don't know. And I don't know how to continue. It's no problem coding in one or another C or C++ variant. I don't mind, they all have basic functions for all other things robot-related. I don't know, I really don't know. The new year doesn't begin as good as I'd like to.

No comments: