11.17.2010

Selfhosting, kinda

I decided to NOT choose any hosting services for my toolkit. Backdoors and license twists isn't my taste. I actually took a look at every project hoster I could find and decided to register at Sourceforge. I edited my settings, tried to create to create a project and wrote the most awesome description for my project. Well, it WAS a description. Sourceforge has such a short allowed login time, that it simply said I have to relogin to make a project. WHAT? Honestly, when I start editing a wiki entry, I don't want to retype all changes I temporarily did, just cause they don't to they logged for ten minutes. No, such flaws definitely turn me off.

So I decided to work the classic way: random host for download (dropbox in this case), doxygen documentation as zip or online, a single pdf and html document about the projects aim/structure/layout etc as well as howto's and tutorials. That's the way I like to read it elsewhere on the web. Download in all formats and archive types, documentation readable online or as pdf and a comfortable API documentation (doxygen is waayyyy nicer than a single-page html document...). It also gives me the freedom to present it 100% the way I want, though I won't get any traffic coming from other sites, only the ones I use to advertise my project. But well, such luxury is for the attention whores. We don't need it.

And as I'll possibly use all classes from my toolkits in my assigments, I can simply develop them for effective use and full documentation (as this is a major criteria to get good marks beside the function and required feature set) along with a specialization of it. A convenient way to a) test what you already designed and b) to create new design basing on a real problem. And -what a coincidence- I already did many, many prototypes and/or partial implementations of ALL the libraries parts I'll before and know what's good to generalize and what not. Simple example is my concept for linked lists - there are so many kinds of lists I used over time, the only really necessary, always occuring structure is the one for a list entry - with next, next/prev or multiple connections doesn't matter. All furter structures like a typical linked list is often so special in requirements that I'd be a shame to use an always-the-same class for it and sacrifice performance and simplicity. I rather prefer to make per-program specilizations and use only the most basic structure (until I find a system in my use of it and a reason to generalize it). So I can extend my base project by project and it get's more useful the more new challenges I tackle.

Great thing, hu? I'm proud of it, it's my baby. Almost my life beside some other hobbies. And it gives a generally better insight I can use to convince others to use my approaches, too.

No comments: