11.11.2010

APTonCD and some other stuff

There a seemingly neat tool on Linux Mint called APTonCD, which  detects the packages you've installed using apt which were not part of the standard installation. It seems quite useful since I want to have exactly the same desktop on my gaming PC as I have on my laptop. I hope it works, because I don't have the nerves to reinstall all packages and once in a while, thus waiting for stuff I should have installed before.

It's not a conincidence that I'm kinda stressed. I have 3 assignments to do and 1 talk to prepare. I don't know all requirements for the assignments, but if the project I'm working on with other students is going to be as stressful as our team leader makes me feel, I'll need a fully synchronized desktop absolutely equal on both machines with exactly the same project progress. Problem is that he wants us to define all interfaces AND the specification within a week, which is quite hard since I'll have to create a final structure in the beginning. I don't think that he understood what's the useful point in having a flexible project management system. I mean it would've been much easier to make a single milestone for the interface design right after the specifications. I don't like that he's thinking that it's useful to define all the interface BEFORE you planned the technology you will need to use and how to get the final result etc. Also weird is that he's doing it otherwise in practise. Especially something sensitive like performance-heavy, custom database functions/classes shouldn't be defined before we know how the internals need to work. I can give him a minimal but effective interface with just a few functions. But if he wants now and never-changing, he's definitely wrong. We are no experts, and he isn't, too. And as he's still working on assigment from a previous semester, he should know how many errors are possible and how they can rely on messy interfaces when programmers try to fit their new structure with the old interface. I think it's always better to analyse stuff first, then try initial prototypes or component prototypes to define an overhauled interface later. Problem is that there won't be any prototypes if everybody does have to do other work and equally important projects. *sigh* This isn't going to end I say you. He'll whine about every that isn't final. And how can anything be final in the very beginning of a project with yet to define technology and feature set? I will only give a raw way how the interface will look like. I could make him a dummy class for testing purposes, but he should smart enough to code it without if he knows what actions will be possible.

However, my basic plan is there and everything can be solved later. Christmas will be full of 24h work and component testing. Oh how I love to fit stuff into a stricted structure... Later in my life, I want to be some kind of research and development guy, creating solutions for know problems or new stuff to discover. Unfortunately, I'm sure I won't get any job in this area without doing a lot of normal coding work and such strict limitations...

I could rage ages about it, but as much as I rant, my rage flies by and I cool down later after I listed all the points annoying me too much.

No comments: