10.10.2010

Totally OpenGL

Yes, I think using OpenGL is the way to go. My game's not just plain 2D. I use transparent effects and would like to use other stuff, too. The raytracing will always stay an essential part of this game and the technology itself - OpenGL is no alternative or replacement for what I do with colors. Cool thing is, the raytracing can be used 3D, too! It'd be essentially the same with just other ray angles. And now imagine typical 3D graphics, but with such a completely dynamic raytracing system! I think this would be totally awesome. Especially with bump mapping and so on. Only limitation would be (of course) the graphics hardware and OpenGL's ability to render only 8 lights at a time. And it fuck yes, this could perfectly work by simply rendering each cube with the set of different lights affecting him. Fuck yes, I love the idea. Only bothering me is the performance when I want to get more lighting details with smaller cubes and so on. I'm not so sure how to archieve this, but maybe a seperation into smaller grids if necessary could do the trick. Yesssss. Cool stuff, reeeeally cool stuff. So it IS possible to combine grid-based raytracing and conventional 3D. And thought it would make no sense, but given the problem that normal shadow casting and comtemporary 3D lighting in general is somewhat limited, this technique could make a significant difference if executed well and carefully. A lot of stuff is to do and to think to archiev this - time to get ball rolling!

No comments: