10.14.2010

Suddenly, like made of air, a catalogue appeared in my mail box. I once ordered my DS-10 at a so called "justmusic" store and strangely enough I got a catalogue of their 2011 program. It surprised me - I nevergot catalogues and I'm quite convinced that I won't need even 70 percent of it. However - today, I had a lot of time between lectures and studied it's synth section. I'm an implicit fan of Korg, since they do quality sound I don't otherwise in adequate quality. Currently, I'm interesting in a synth entitled "Monotron". It's only 59€ (the main reason for why it sounded it interesting to me to be honest) and reminds of the DS-10's simplicity except that you can't path or program any sequence. I was inspired by this video and think it can work quite efficiently when combined with a wave sequencer. I always wanted to play a real hardware synth not only as a VST on my computer. The DS-10 was a step closer to this goal, but this one could effectively push my further. Yeah, totally. I'm currently watching some other videos to get a better overview about it's capabilities. I've so far only worked with sequencer-based environments - maybe this a point to my hands on a real synth. I'd love to have one. Plus, it doesn't limit me to make on a computer or on my gameboy. I slowly learn to know what kind of environment is useful for what kind of sound/thing. The gameboy is great for chiptunes and drums, as for sound effects and as small loops/songs in general - I love making drums with it and like modifying them further on the PC using filters. FL Studio is useful when sequencing drums and all kind of other song parts. It's to do organic note playing with it, except when using an external input device. All in all I still can't get a convincing analogue sound right. The DS-10 is limited in output quality (chip stuff and low sounds sound good, but not so smooth and organic as I sometimes want), therefore a better-sounding and freely editable synth is the perfect inbetween. You can't control notes and parameters at the same time using the DS-10. It'd be possible on the PC, but that eliminates the analogue generation (and analogue has definitely the most-detailed sound quality a PC with it's set output rate and performance limitation can't deliver). Yeah, this one sounds cool. And it works with batteries - that maybe be useful for stationary use, but I like experimenting everywhere and every time I want.

So let's try to test it out at this "justmusic" store. I think I can remeber where it was, let's give it a try...

No comments: