10.09.2010

never ever KDE

OMFG, KDE is soooo ugly to me. I'm currently blogging using Konqueror under KDE 3.5 and I really don't get what's so great about KDE. First thing I noticed is that is almost behaves like Windows. Stuff popping up here and there and everywhere until you said everyone to shut the fuck up. Almost every program I started did it so, so I guess it's just a typical KDE 3.5 disease. Next thing I noticed was that there's a horrible amount of useless software in the default installation. Seriously, who the fuck needs all this shit? I'm a friend of one software for one kind of task, I strongly dislike it. I just don't know where to start. It's so confusing and rubbish - what does this monster expect from me? I don't know, I don't know. I tried to cut it down a bit, but looking at KDE's typical settings dialogs doesn't make it better - I get an immediate feel of WTF. Features are one thing, but killing users by too much stuff is another. I don't even want to use it further, it simply sucks. Another thing to complain about, if you find your way around those millions of menu items it offers you, is the length of menu item descriptions. That may be something one doesn't often think about, but an item called "Add Application to Panel" that's also a popup in a popup and gives you even more popup with similarly long descriptions does fill your screen immediately without getting the task done you originally wanted to be done. In a desktop of such a huge default software selection, it'd be easier to simply give a quicker accessible list of addable objects/applications. If I always have to make 4 clicks, just to get a simple icon in my taskbar... It's just no as convenient as it could be. Why don't just write "Add" or "Remove", eh?

Man, this desktop makes me angry. I like Gnome, it's so much more well-thought in terms of simplicity and the concept of few but covering software. Next I'll ask why they like KDE over Gnome. I don't care about "Better Software" as an argument, cause good is a relative case, especially in terms of usability. Personally, I wouldn't suggest KDE to a Linux beginner. For example, "Text Editor" in Gnome is actually understandable, "Kate" on the KDE will take you some time figure out. There are - again - so many apps with silly names you'll never find out without starting them. Gnome starts and works. 'nuff said. No silly settings popups at every start, no annoying default settings - just as it should be: working, friendly to look at and work with, well-thought and with just the essential features for each kind of software. Of course isn't it always the case (remember, stuff develops more and more), but it's still better than this monster a demanding and attention-grabbing app spammer. Just listen to people saying KDE is better than Gnome and you can see how certain and feature-praising they act went listing advantages over Gnome. It's just silly and childish "OMFG I HAS MORE FEATCHAAA THAN U" babbling.

And now I start developing something against KDE users, fine. So you got it, fanatics. One of the reasons why there are so many eternally split linux user groups, could be that they just don't understand the opposite and thus beginning they holy war against each other. So to not run in this direction, I'll just delete it from my system and get back to my lovely Gnome desktop. KDE is nothing for me. It's like Linux' windows (note: I haven't yet tested windows vista or 7, so don't compare my statement to newer windows) with too much settings. And windows was the reason why I switched to Linux... Looking at the coming Gnome 3.0, it seems that Gnome evolves more into some kind of different experience. If KDE is windows, than Gnome is Mac OS. I don't have a problem with that. I'm curious how it will feel and how they change this in newer releases.

Edit: Even removing was a mess... Gnome conveniently packages all of it's standard software in one package, so can easily remove it if you want. KDE one the other side... I don't get it. Messy desktop, messy settings, messy package system... I don't like it.

No comments: