9.26.2010

Workspace II


It took me some time to realize how my brain works when beeing in a "user mode". Toying 'round with GNOME for so long, I didn't thought about even changing one tad of it's default panel and icon arrangement. And as I did with all other applications under Linux which's use I was aiming for, it was time to give it a try. My new desktop looks quite different from every other one I used so far. All iconified menus, applications launcher and shrinked status informations like current speed, CPU/net/harddrive performance, weather, systray, time etc are visible at the lower part. What I hate most when writing or editing stuff in a program is looking at a taskbar with only the name of the program I'm working with. I usually look at the lower parts of the screen when using a laptop. So having some friendly and colorful icons mixed with vital informations is a breeze to look at. I rarely switch windows cause most applications I use are multifunctional and tab based. If not, I usually just move and select windows by hand, not with a taskbar. But sometimes I want a clutterless taskbar for maximum navigation power, so I only need to look at  the top of my laptop and I only see the stuff that is useful for window management. I'f I get tired of it, I can still switch their position and have an almost normal GNOME desktop! It's essentially not a big deal, but functionally and psychologically, it is.

No comments: