9.08.2010

So this is gonna be cool

Yeah, I like Epiphany so far as new browser. It has a better, tag-based bookmark system and a (as I personally find) more natural integration of the search function. What I like about Epphany (and GNOME in general) is that they try to apply their HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) everywhere they can, and this a good thing. It feels good to know that every program has only the settings accessible that really matter. Everything else can be done with extension. It's a good concept and reflects most aspects I value in software design. Good stuff, good stuff. But well, gedit is similar because it has only the options that matter to me. I can remember ranting about a single, special feature I couldn't find, but normally it's everything I need. And now, that it's faster than in CrunchBang, it is my favourite, again. Hm, maybe I should try CodeBlocks again? I think this couldn't hurt, especially cause I do now have a system that performs definitely better, hm... Originally, I started using an external editor + terminal cause I didn't knew how to compile from command line and found some CodeBlock bugs just as annoying as how I always had to setup EVERYTHING when reinstalling systems. And where am I now? I know how to use my favourite make/compile system, I know much more about terminals and the tool chain of a developer, I learned how to make the default GNOME editor a programmer's editor and more and more and more and more. I learned so much useful things by not using an IDE, I think it's better to stick with standard tools. Maybe, if want some more sophisticated project structures in my folders, I'll switch to makefile instead of cmake. Of course, cmake does all the header requirement magic for you, but it also a fucked up system for multiple projects in subfolders. Atleat I didn't quite get how to manage it at all. Using makefiles, I have to specify everything by hand, but it results in a more flexible system. I always thought of a system to manage projects using terminal commands. Where you would call a program that give you an interactive project shell, or atleast the possibility to just type "compile" and it auto-magically (I love this word) adds all source files in the given folders to it's projects if not present, check for for depencies on changed/new files and then create a makefile if something changed and call it everything worked well. I like the idea of it, having more freedom to specify what is when done, with which compiler and what kind of actions of changes. It should an universal compile systems that works for more than just C/C++. Everything it would know is how find out included files. This can be done with a program/script, can than get processed further, etc... A toolchain to get the comfort of modern ideas, where all you need to do, as user, is to add it to gedit as a shortcut and run it inside gedit's bottom panel/terminal. I like this idea. Plus, it teaches me some terminal tricks and more knowledge about how makefiles work.

So back to Epiphany and GNOME/Debian, it's also cool to have am "add/remove applications" button, again. It always felt so forced with package managers, ending up with too many removed packaged that were required for certain programs. On the good side, I know how to manage stuff with them. This "hardcore experience" with nothing but terminals was instructive and valuable. But for know I'm glad it's over! Sometimes I go over-the-top and want to be as nerdy as possible, but deep down inside my heart I'm a total GUI lover. I need to know how things work, if not, I usually fall back to arch-orthodox minimal ways to operate computers until I know what I want to know. It's rather a way of learning how to understand what makes what. Like people going out on a zen trip, I go back to very basic ways of working with computers. That's pretty special, I know. But atleast it works as usual, and is thus worthy enough to do it. So at the moment it's time to stop that weird, unintuitive way of computing.

As I can now see how useful GNOME's HIG guidelines are, it's good to learn more about them and maybe inplement them in my own, future programs. If there wouldn't be this maths stuff I had to do for Uni... But hey, I usually do maths only a few hours a day, so there's plenty of time to program. And as I'm in a programming mood, I can usually cope with such things better than otherwise. All in all, I noticed that my understanding of math works well, if I get the time to digest them enough. So yeah, let's get programmy and get the best out of GNOME for development and create a command line project manager!

No comments: