9.24.2010

Life signs

It took me quite some time to actually write something in here. Once a semester I install Diablo II and play it just to have some kind of short-living "addiction", which works well as some kind of "buffer" when learning head-intensive stuff like math and so on (mostly cause D2 does require a very very very little amount of brain to play). So I was literally drown in Items and Runes to no end when I realized how annoyingly long it takes to get some cool gear with automic fire emitting, shock burst were go etc. So I'm effectively back from my addiction, having D2 uninstalled. And since I'm almost done with all math learning (rest is just practising and coping with mean tricks my lecturer may have implemented. So I'm free to do some other things now.

First of all, I decided to reveal the current look of the model I'm working on. I could've done this weeks before, but I always I could just make a hammer and a grip and everythings fine. That's not the case. And posting what you're working on, really frees the mind for some smaller "revolutions" in design and new solutions where previous approaches didn't work. As I'm talking about hammers all the time, I did just no realize that the problem of my hammer is not how is it locked and released (making a trigger in an effectively three-bricks-wide grip isn't as easy as in a five-bricks-wide one...) but rather if it's a hammer itself (rotating and then hammering on the needle) or stabbing (using a hammer-replacing "stabber" to thrust horizontally against the needle) or just a bolt-action typical built-in needle completely without hammer.

I liked the idea of an external hammer getting cocked by ejecting the cartridge, but I'm having serious problems to implement it. Mostly cause I can't imagine a way to get a stable rotating hammer in this tiny scale that's also able to thrust powerful (which means a lot of spring/rubber power) and works with a bolt moving above, behind and in front of it. Ridiculous! I just don't have enough room or tiny parts. Connectors are massive, other parts even more, and worst of all for such a construction is that I can only guerantee stability with enough horizontally and vertically inserted connectors. And then there's also the question to take a cross or a circle connector and so on... Just too much that doesn't work right with it.

Furthermore, every other concept I envisioned for this model today (most of them also with a magazine in mind) will fail due the cartridge's rectangular size. I realized that most modern firearms only work how they work because they make use of cartridges with tapered top and special areas with different angles in front/behind or in the chamber to guide carridges correctly so they definitely end up in the chamber with whatever angle they came out of the magazine. That's a huge advantage and simplifies a lot of magazine-based gun designs. I envy gun smiths for their possibility to form all shapes they want or need. Not so with LEGO... I hate it. You got a great idea and everything keeping you away from creating it is the material you're working with. I'm almost tempted to begin with real-world material cause I can use whatever shape I want. Or I could just use "trash" left over from other stuff and try to get it working. It wouldn't be LEGO anymore. That's sad. However, I'm frustrated how disappointing LEGO can be. I won't use normal LEGOs, cause they just don't deliver the features LEGO Technic offers me. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Ok, I'm fine. Everything's ok. Don't waste your frustration this way! Well, I'll just continue with a modificated version of my current system. One shot, no magazine, no hammer but a very basic bolt-action firing system. If I think about, I just want to finish it. It took me so long to start work on it again and then my idea turned to some kind of vaporware. It's always like that. Experience is everything. And time, too.

Stuff is driving me depressive. Why do I all my LEGO projects turn out to be so limited due to LEGO itself...

No comments: