9.09.2010

GNOMEdy

I've setup a major plan how to restore my desktop after playing around too much with. I also found out the reason why my previous attempt of installing the new Nautilus failed: It is a part of the GNOME desktop package, and this it can't be uninstalled seperately. This is kinda sad, cause it's of one of these features I always used as long as I can remember. Seeing the GNOME desktop as one package is also the reason why I can't remove Evolution or Ekiga or even Rythmbox without removing GNOME itself. But hey, that's ok. I don't prefer or need them but they are also GNOMEy software with a consistent HIG. And if I ever need to use some programs different from my preferred ones, I can just use them.

I also caught myself by only trusting software that looks like it has a GNOME icon... Oh man, so long no consistent software turned my into a total fanboy. It's not that I always do this kind. I often see how the icons look in all kinds of operating systems/desktops and can thus see if it came from a consistent suite of tools or just from a single, unrelated developer. I kind of like the idea of whole software suites made to have a consistent desktop experience. That's also the reason why I want to ASCIIfy every program I'm writing for personal satisfaction. And so far, it often works for me to just choose the applications that work within one environment together without any interface breakdowns. And well, this brings to go through this list of selected GNOME projects. I know, I know - there are so many more. But I'm sure that programs in this list do have GNOME icons (Kill me if you want! This is my first criteria.) and integrate better. The reason is simple: If they even provide icons in the famous GNOME style, I'm sure they added more important features and integration before doing that. As a software developer, I usually start adding features, not design. So everything feature-rich and GNOME-looking seems to be something I may want to inspect further.

This approach also got me to read more about Anjuta. I wont type anything about here except that I hope it's a like a pimped gedit which no messed up build system, so I can switch to some IDE system again. Again, it's good to know your build-in standard tools, but I miss the feel of using a program made to do what I want to do. Guess that comes from beeing a fan of old Nintendo consoles with just the ability to play video games and nothing else. And an IDE eases the annoying work of always hacking in new things into makefiles.

No comments: