3.26.2010

Hardware 3D sucks ass

You know what? The Stalker engines sucks for modding. Seriously, the used millions of textures - absolute unsorted. Bumpmaps between color textures, alpha layers here and there... All of them in a couple of folder and mixed randomly. Doesn't make much fun! I thought about picking out some cool seamlessly loopable pattern as texture replacement but that's just to much work. When I wrote the 1-color-per-texture-mod thing I even used a custom tool for replacing files and making whole folder structures of empty files, just using the original names to finally replace what I wanted with new ones. Exausting! To hell with all these shitty ways of making games with modern graphics cards. I hate that every 3D engine requires textures with a power-of-two size. I mean yes, maybe it works faster this way but that's no proper way of beeing creative! It's a fucking pain and slowly I do understand why most 3D games aren't made by incredibly creative guys but rather by people with more technology in mind than actually confortable ways to put in new stuff for fun. I'm glad I don't need/want to make 3D games later. It's a pain to cut down what you really want to do. The world deserves better ways of making 3D games. Something really revolutionary, enabling game creation on-the-fly and affect-wise. Maybe I'll will learn OpenGL next semester, enabling me to see if it's possible to work in the way I want. Probably not. Today's 3D technology is unpredictable silly. I'm still convinced by custom raytracing solutions. I don't like 3D graphics hardware.

No comments: