2.23.2010

Guides

Well, I'm playing Hack'n Slay games since I'm 12 and until I became 17 or so and never bothered playing without a system, a plan. A GUIDE. Yes, a guide. For example, I love Diablo 2 but on higher levels it's too complicated and forgiving. It's no more a game, it's a pain. And since your character depends on fucking awesome equipment it's all over unless you've done millions of runs on specific boss monsters. When I wasn't able to continue on nightmare, I read a guide to help me out and swoosh I knew a lot of things I did intuitively wrong before. I hate that about Diablo 2. You can play like everyone and with luck you will be able to kill Diablo. Maybe Baal, too. But later you need help because a lot of things look so unimportant but play a big role in if you can beat the game (especialll if comes to skilling and which skill is useful, which nor and so... a lot of reading and experience needed to find it out). Ok, if you play a barbarian... it's easy. Really easy. But a necromancer or sorceress definitely need more sophisticated plans. However, I don't want to guide D2 players. Yes, too, but mostly I'm interested in writing guides for Titan Quest! Yes, Titan Quest. The little big game I really love, it has found a place in my heart, especially because the publisher close it's development studios... The game has more to do with intuition and quick testing if it comes to how somebody can get to higher difficulties. It sucks at some points (you can't really play as a pure summoner for example) and newer patches make the boss enemy Typhon (I don't talk about the expansion Immortal Throne) so tough that no pet can help you kill him except if you've only skilled healing and the pet's skills. I like the original, non-patched version, but whatever. So I will start writing down my thoughts on how you can make character combinations in Titan Quest and how far you can come with them. I think I will use a table with column like: how far you can get (difficulty), how to play the character (hit'n run or just slashing, etc...) and some other things I can't remember at the moment. I hope this table will fit here since my blog is... rather narrow. But oh well, I have time to test it out! I have five and a half week free to throw away for timewasters, so I will write some guides for these games. I hate it when fan sites for D2 or Titan Quest start to "rate" guides, if they look like others and such. In the end this doesn't matter. If it's an imho good guide, a lot of things are only explained if it's necessary and don't need many abbreviations or spreadsheets for everything you can find in the game. This isn't the case for most Titan Quest guides, but D2 guide writers are fanatic asses who tear down the game and isolate every part just for sake of perfection. And the worst is that Diablo 2's developer, Blizzard, does support this data-driven shit by giving ultra-hard quest to meet the addicts cycle of doom! Seriously, I'm playing with a study friend and he was so fucking into this game that he even sold whole accounts with characters full with items and gems and runes and whatever shit... THAT'S SO FUCKING CRAZY. And it's really not healthy - mentally and physically. Ok, I'm playing this game too and started characters just to store equip I can't store on my character, but that's mostly because I love collecting and giving things for free - not because I want to do a big show or create a specific character model or something like that. I reached the point where it's no fun anymore. And my friend continues and continues and continues... I hope I haven't directed him into the wrong direction by saying I want to play with him. I also had my bad experiences with Diablo 2 (including many never done homeworks) but he managed the fail some of his exams just because he played like a manic ass. Also, he's stress-resistant and that's a not a good combination if it comes to real stress. However, he managed to come through the first semester without having problems. Congratulations! I'm happy that he did it. Really. Noone should loose such specific times in his life just because he/she was playing too much of addictive games. Therefore I like Titan Quest. It's almost a single player since nobody is playing it online. And that's a good thing! Because Titan Quest is a beauty which shouldn't be destroyed by stupid addicted online gamers.

Oh my, what did I write here? I feel like a mother saying killer games are bad and all children should only play puzzle games. Also, writing guides is some kind shitting wisdom. I mean who the fuck does it read except the one who wants to know specific things or can't pass a boss or so? It becomes so much of an elitist writing. Strangely enough, I'm kinda one if it comes to rhings like that. But admitting it is still better than saying nothing about it. The cool thing is that Titan Quest is forgiving enough to allow players to combine dozens of things on the fly just to test if it works. And you can also a lot of money to reskill your characters.

No comments: